The 4-H Ontario Ambassador program provides youth with advanced level training in leadership, citizenship, communications and public relations. Ambassadors put their energy and 4-H experiences to work recruiting new members and sharing the 4-H story. Throughout 2018, each of 4-H Ontario’s Ambassadors will submit blog entries about their experiences in the program. To book an Ambassador for your local event click here. The 4-H Ontario Ambassador Program is sponsored by FS. Submitted by Evan Jenkins, 4-H Ontario Youth Ambassador from Elgin 4-H Association Unreal Experience of my Life! With the year ending, this means that my year as a 4-H Ontario Ambassador is coming to an end. From the start in February, there have been many memorable moments that have made being an ambassador worth every minute. Many of which come from travelling around to different associations, meeting current 4-H members and volunteers from other associations and seeing the impacts of 4-H in communities. Saying this, I have prepared a list that outlines my reasons why the Ambassador Program is a fantastic opportunity to be a part of: My Top 5 Reasons Why the 4-H Ambassador Program is an Amazing Opportunity:
- Great way to see the different associations – There are many different events that come up during the tenure of being a 4-H Ambassador. These events can be as far south as Essex County to as far east as Prescott County and even to Northern Ontario. With this, many associations have many different 4-H events that happen throughout the year.
- Get to meet other 4-H members and volunteers – This is a great way to meet fellow 4-H members that may share the same interests as you and can also meet some volunteers that can give you insight from their past experiences being in 4-H or their current experiences leading clubs.
- Meet different sponsors of 4-H programs – In many associations, there are many different sponsors that help run local 4-H events. Being a 4-H Ambassador, you get to meet these sponsors and make connections. Often they have been in the 4-H program and are excited to share their own memories.
- Good way to network with people – I have learned from being a 4-H Ambassador that going to events has helped with my networking ability. This means that I can make connections with people that could be future mentors and help me find jobs in the future. The one question that I get a lot of the time from 4-H alumni is seeing if 4-H is still going. Questions like this really make me proud to share that 4-H is still alive and talk to them about new clubs that have been introduced.
- Amazing way to see what 4-H has to offer – Through this program, I have seen the effects that the 4-H program has had on the various communities like bringing them together, creating opportunities that have positive effects on everyone in the community and even bringing awareness that 4-H is not just a rural or livestock-based club. It has also showed me that no matter how big the association is, 4-H in the county makes it look like a larger county than it really is.
With these tips, I hope this can help fellow 4-H members see the benefits of the marvelous 4-H Ambassador Program. Along with doing the Ambassador Program, there are some fun memories like learning that French is a helpful tool when visiting the Eastern part of the province, there’s always time to laugh at various events and that mini jam out sessions in the vehicle before an event can get that energy flowing to get you through any nerves you had about the event. I hope that with this knowledge of the 4-H Ambassador Program, you will be thrilled to reach out to a 4-H member and urge them to take on this superb experience of a lifetime!