Biotechnology – which includes genetic engineering and genetically modified organisms (GMOs) – is too big a topic to ignore. It has a huge impact on agriculture today and those in the industry expect its role to increase in the coming years.
In this project, you’ll learn:
- Why biotechnology is used and the controversies, politics and ethics surrounding it
- How to recognize reliable sources and make fact-based arguments
- Important info about biotech regulatory bodies and how they keep consumers safe
- The basics of bioproducts and their current use around the world
- What the future may look like with emerging biotechnologies like CRISPR
Science & Technology
Did you know?
The first genetically engineered crop for approved for use in Canada in 1994? In this 4-H project, learn about the intricacies of modern agricultural biotechnology along with the social factors impacting its acceptance.